Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly reflection

I both liked and disliked The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. I thought the book was good because it was a good story about the struggles he went through, with the nurses and having them not being able to understand him, and how he felt being trapped in his own body. I also thought that the book was bad because of the randomness.
I thought the book was good because it was interesting about how he wrote the book. How he tried to get along with his nurses and doctors, and about how he tried to communicate. The book was good because of the describing of his everyday life. He tried to describe his everyday life like his food that he gets through a feeding tube, and other things like his daily baths.
I did not like The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. I thought that it was random. I could not understand it because in one section he would be talking about present day, and then he would talk about a dream and it was never clear to me when he changed tenses. He talked about dreams then go into present day then past life and experiences. It seemed odd to me about the changes in the tenses. I also did not like the fact that he would talk about moments in his past life or a dream that did not seem clear why they were in the memoir. I wished that he (Jean-Dominique Bauby) explained more about his dreams or his experiences that he put in the book. I thought the book was a too random.

No comments: